Interview with Surgical Technology student.

We did a profile of one of our students in the surgical technology program. American College of Healthcare and Technology’s surgical technology program is a 16-month program at our Riverside campus.

When did you start school at ACHT and what program are you in? “I started school in July of 2016, and I joined the surgical technology program.”

Why did you choose surgical technology? “I felt that it would be the one that would give me the most challenge.  I was interested in a surgical technology program since I moved back from Texas. It was one of the better programs I looked into and my admissions person got back to me very fast. “

What does a surgical technologist do? “Surgical technicians are responsible for maintaining a sterile field in the operating room, providing instruments for the surgeon, gowning and gloving the surgeon and the assistant surgeon and knowing the procedure.”

How does one become a surgical technologist? “You need to have a lot of determination; a lot of patience is needed as well. If you aren’t willing to learn, committed to the program and motivated then it might not be for you. There are a lot of nights of staying up late and studying for tests or getting homework done, but it’s all worth it.”

What were some of the obstacles you had to overcome in order to attend school? “I moved back from Texas after living there for 8 years. I have a car that is breaking down, and I also have three children, which makes school that much harder, with less time to study and do homework. I have to plan my day around picking up my kids.”

How did you overcome all these obstacles? “I got a lot of help from other people. Financial aid and the state has helped me out. My dad is helping me get a new car. I have to manage my time a lot and I have a strong motivation to succeed, but that motivation to succeed is helping me get good grades and raise kids.

What are the 3 best things about the surgical technologist program? “I’m finally accomplishing something for myself; I’m providing a better future for myself and my children. The last thing I would say is that it shows my children that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.”

What are the 3 most difficult aspects of the program?  “You need to have good study habits, there’s a lot of information to learn. With having a family dependability is difficult even when I’m tired, a bad mood or sick I know I need to show up. Time management is hard, with kids, and so much studying it’s hard to find time to get everything done.

What advice would you give to other moms who want to attend this program but are also raising children? “If you are going to, you need a lot of patience. You will lose even more time than you already do, make sure to relax when you can. Stress levels will go up and it can cause you to lose it. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask, people at the American College of Healthcare and Technology and the teachers in the program are willing to help. Make sure you don’t give up, want to do it then do it. Just because you have children doesn’t mean you can’t better yourself.”

What are some keys to success in the program? “Find the right study habits. Find the way you learn and stick to it. Do what you know best. Show up and pay attention. Show up with an open mind wanting to do your best. It is the best way to maintain grades and stress as well as keeping everything in order.

For any additional information, visit us online at www.ach.edu or call us at (951) 729-5320 or (323) 585-9000

American College of Healthcare and Technology has two convenient locations.

Our Huntington Park offers the following Programs: Medical Assistant, Medical Billing & Coding, Veterinary Assistant, and Massage Therapy & Physical Therapy Aide.

Our Huntington Park campus proudly serves the following communities: Bell, Bell Gardens, Compton, Southgate, Los Angeles, Vernon, Maywood, Cudahy, Florence, South Central LA, Watts, Lynwood, City of Industry, Lawndale, Paramount, Inglewood, Commerce, Downy, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs, Carson, Long Beach, Bellflower, Pico Rivera, Montebello, Whittier, Gardena, Hawthorne, El Monte, La Puente, Monterrey Park.

Our Riverside campus offers the following programs: Medical Assistant, Medical Billing & Coding, Veterinary Assistant, Massage Therapy & Physical Therapy Aide, Dental Assistant, Surgical Technology, and Pharmacy Technician.

Our Riverside campus proudly serves the following communities: Corona, Moreno Valley, Norco, Lake Elsinore, Perris, La Sierra, Arlington, Jurupa Valley, Rialto, Pedley, Mira Loma, Rubidoux, Bloomington, Colton, San Bernardino, Redlands, Wildomar, Temecula, Murrieta, Loma Linda, Fontana, Grand Terrace, and Glen Avon.

11801 Pierce St., Suite 100
Riverside, California 92505
(951) 729-5320

6606 Pacific Blvd, Suite 204
Huntington Park, California 90255
(323) 585-9000