Interview with Medical Assistant student.

We sat down with medical assistant student Justin Henley to hear his story about his time in our medical assistant program. Our medical assistant program is an 8-month course offered at our Riverside and Huntington Park campuses.

When did you start school at ACHT and what program are you in? “I started the American College of Healthcare and Technology in September of 2016 and I joined the medical assistant program.”

Why did you choose medical assisting? “I chose medical assisting for a few reasons. Being a medical assistant is a good way to get into the medical field which is something I’ve always wanted to do. Medical assisting is also required to be an x-ray tech which I will be taking classes for this coming February.

What does a medical assistant do? “A medical assistant is kind of like the jack of all trades in the office. We check vitals; we do medical charting, injections, and even EKG’s. We work in the front office as well. Calling insurance and setting up appointments for patients.”

Why did you choose to study medical assisting at ACHT? “I chose the American College of Healthcare and Technology for a couple reasons. My friend was doing surgical tech and she suggested to me to check out the school. When I got the details I saw the school was affordable and the staff that helped me out was great. The schedule also let me work while going to school.”

What were some of the obstacles you had to overcome in order to attend school? “I was working three jobs while I was in school. I drove a lot in all my jobs and when I was done working I had to drive from San Jacinto to get here. It was great that they offered night classes because it was the only way I was going to be able to come to school.”

What are the 3 best things about being in this program? “I picked up very quickly in this program. It made me really want to keep going with everything. Secondly, my instructor made everything in the class so much easier and made everything really easy to learn and understand. Lastly, the best thing about this class is that I was able to attend it at a time that fit with my schedule and that was the most important thing.”

What are a couple of the most difficult aspects of this program? “I couldn’t stand getting poked by needles. That was one of the hardest things. Another thing was just how nervous I would get around needles when I had to do anything injection related. The last thing that was difficult was

What advice would you give to other people in a similar position as you? “Working and going to school isn’t easy, but if you really want to continue your education you should. You really need to want it if you want to succeed because if you try something and don’t put everything into it and not get everything into it, it’s a waste.

What are some keys to success in this program? “You need to have perseverance in this program because some of the stuff you are going to learn and try isn’t easy, but if you keep going you will succeed if you keep trying. You also need to have a good attitude to succeed because a bad attitude is going to not get you anywhere. Also be willing to learn if you are willing to learn the time you spend here is going to be a lot more fun.

For any additional information, visit us online at www.ach.edu or call us at (951) 729-5320 or (323) 585-9000

American College of Healthcare and Technology has two convenient locations.

Our Huntington Park offers the following programs: Medical Assistant, Medical Billing & Coding, Veterinary Assistant, and Massage Therapy & Physical Therapy Aide.

Our Huntington Park campus proudly serves the following communities: Bell, Bell Gardens, Compton, Southgate, Los Angeles, Vernon, Maywood, Cudahy, Florence, South Central LA, Watts, Lynwood, City of Industry, Lawndale, Paramount, Inglewood, Commerce, Downy, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs, Carson, Long Beach, Bellflower, Pico Rivera, Montebello, Whittier, Gardena, Hawthorne, El Monte, La Puente, Monterrey Park.

Our Riverside campus offers the following programs: Medical Assistant, Medical Billing & Coding, Veterinary Assistant, Massage Therapy & Physical Therapy Aide, Dental Assistant, Surgical Technology, and Pharmacy Technician.

Our Riverside campus proudly serves the following communities: Corona, Moreno Valley, Norco, Lake Elsinore, Perris, La Sierra, Arlington, Jurupa Valley, Rialto, Pedley, Mira Loma, Rubidoux, Bloomington, Colton, San Bernardino, Redlands, Wildomar, Temecula, Murrieta, Loma Linda, Fontana, Grand Terrace, and Glen Avon.

11801 Pierce St., Suite 100
Riverside, California 92505
(951) 729-5320

6606 Pacific Blvd, Suite 204
Huntington Park, California 90255
(323) 585-9000