The Medical Administrative Assistant program at ACH prepares individuals to perform routine clerical and reception duties in patient care and within a health care facility. Courses may include business communication, medical terminology and office management, as well as medical law and ethics.
Medical Administrative Assistants manage the day-to-day operations of a medical facility, and are responsible for running a medical office, maintaining medical records, scheduling patients and understanding patient needs. Many Medical Administrative Assistants go on to become medical office managers.
What is a Medical Administrative Assistant?
Duties performed by a Medical Administrative Assistant may include any combination of the following:
- Appointment scheduling
- Client billing / collections and insurance
- Handling payroll
- Medical records management
- Preparation of forms
- Receiving and directing patients
- Recording patient vital signs
- Transcribing medical records
- Using medical software
- Medical Front Office – Administrative Assistant
- In-Patient Admitting Clerk
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Financial Bookkeeping
- Medical Accounts Receivables
Medical Administrative Assistants can use their knowledge of medical and office terminology and procedures to work in a variety of jobs, including (but not limited to):
- Admitting and Discharge Clerk
- Executive Medical Administrative Assistant
- Hospital Admissions Coordinator
- Insurance Clerks
- Medical Office Managers
- Medical Records Manager
- Patient relations representative
Graduates of ACH’s Medical Administrative Assistant program can choose to work in a variety of locations, including (but not limited to):
- Chiropractic offices
- Dental offices
- Medical billing and insurance companies
- Nursing homes
- Physician offices
- Veterinary offices
Overall employment for Medical Administrative Assistants is expected to grow by 12% from 2010 to 2020, and Medical Administrative Assistants who work in California earn a mean wage of $34,660 to $37,150, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2012.
Get Started On Your New Career
Call 1-888-430-4224 or contact us today to get started in your new career as a Medical Administrative Assistant!