The Pharmacy Technician program at the American College of Healthcare (ACH) in Riverside, California covers a variety of subject areas, such as medical and pharmaceutical terminology, pharmaceutical calculations, recordkeeping and techniques, and pharmacy law and ethics.
Pharmacy technicians and assistants work under the supervision of the pharmacist. They help licensed pharmacists provide customer services, prepare prescription medications, and perform administrative duties within a pharmacy setting. Pharmacy technicians typically are responsible for the routine tasks associated with preparing and providing prescribed medication to patients, but their duties may also involve verbal prescriptions and doctor calls, medication and expense orders, expired credits and returns, and non-licensed pharmacy management.
What is a Pharmacy Technician?
- Counting pills
- Filling and verifying prescriptions
- Labeling products
- Maintaining patient records and insurance information
- Measuring, packaging and delivering medications
- Preparing IV’s
- Transcribing physician’s orders
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT): To become a CPhT, a Pharmacy Technician must pass the national certification exam administered by the Pharmacy Technician
- Certification Board (PTCB) or the Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ICPT). To be able to sit for either of the exams, an individual must have no felony convictions within five years of applying, and have no pharmacy or drug conviction at any point.
Graduates of ACH’s Pharmacy Technician program can choose to work in a variety of locations, including (but not limited to):
- Assisted-living facilities
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO’s)
- Home Infusion Organizations
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Retail pharmacies
Pharmacy Technicians in California earn a mean wage of $27,750 to $37,750 according to Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2012.
Get Started On Your New Career
Call 1-888-430-4224 or contact us today to get started in your new career as a Pharmacy Technician!